Write a Resume
WHAT SHOULD YOUR RESUME DO
It should present what you have demonstrated, achieved, or learned which might benefit your employer. It is not a work history!!
Email Address and/or Personal Web Address
Campus Address: Trinity College Box # · City, State Zip Code · Phone Number
Permanent Street: City, State Zip Code · Phone Number
Trinity College, Box #
City, State Zip code
(Area Code) Phone number
City, State Zip code
(Area Code) Phone number
Institution: location -- Trinity College: Hartford, CT
Degree, Major (and concentration if appropriate), date -- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Expected May 2003
Cumulative GPA/GPA in major (optional) - list if 3.0 or higher with academic honors and awards
Optional: relevant coursework, foreign study programs.
RESUME WRITING TIPS
6. Be concise and clear in your descriptions. Do not try to impress employers with the use of complicated or confusing words.
7. Make sure there are no typing, spelling or grammar errors.
8. Do not use contractions and make sure you define abbreviations or acronyms.
9. Be consistent. For example, if your headings are in bold type, all headings should be in bold. Each entry should follow a uniform format.
10. Spell check, but remember that spell check does not catch everything. Have someone proofread your resume.
11. Choose a font that is easy to read: Palatino or Times, no larger than 14 point and no smaller than 10 point.
12. In most cases a cover letter should be attached to your resume. Refer to the How to Write a Cover Letter CSO Guide.
13. Print final copies of your resume on quality paper. Use the same color and type of paper for resume, cover letter and envelope. Make sure the paper photocopies well.
14. Seek advice from the Career Services Office for suggested improvements in wording, layout and style.
For students applying to computer related positions, high-tech companies or other large corporations realize that your resume may be scanned into a computer database. In these cases:
Resumes for Electronic Submittal
Use these action words to enhance you resume and to make your descriptions more powerful!
Trinity College · Box 700000 · 300 Summit Street · Hartford, CT 06106-3100 · (860) 295-5454
77 Oakwood Lane · New Paltz, NY 02126 · (914) 889-8899
Trinity College: Hartford, CT
Bachelor of Arts in History, May 1999
GPA in major: 3.23
Candidate to graduate with honors in History
University of Oviedo: Oviedo, Spain, September-December 1998
PUBLIC RELATIONS EXPERIENCE
Ivory Public Relations: Miami, FL May 1998-August 1998
Public Relations Intern: Assisted Executive with on-line software account. Researched on-line and print media for news hits and competitor information. Created and managed over 250 media lists. Organized pitch development program designed to build skills for winning new accounts.
Trinity College Office of Media Relations: Hartford,
CT January 1997-May 1998
Public Relations Assistant: Assisted with disseminating and gathering news on behalf of the entire Trinity Community. Created news releases, produced news clips as well as provided general office assistance.
Clinton/Gore 92: Boston, MA July-November 1992
Clinton/Gore 96: Hartford, CT September-November 1996
Campaign Intern: Assisted with the election and re-election campaigns of President Clinton and Vice President Gore. Organized visibilities, phone-banked and compiled computer database of supporters and potential supporters.
Bears Sterns: New York, NY January 1998-May 1998
Financial Assistant: Investigated stocks, bonds and mutual funds using Bloomberg and Morningstar. Researched and determined daily changes in the stock market. Studied and reported current changes and trends in IRAs. Managed a mock stock portfolio of $100k. Runner up for top prize based on portfolio earning the greatest return.
Trinity College Child Care Center: Hartford, CT September
Child Care Assistant: Aided in planning activities for and ensuring the safety of 10-20 infants and toddlers.
Milton Hoosic Club: Canton, MA May-September 1997
Wollaston Golf Club: Milton, MA May-September 1995, July-September 1997
Lifeguard, Swim Instructor and Assistant Swim Team Coach: Taught daily lessons to children ages 2-10 years old on 4 different swimming levels and assisted in coaching the Milton Hoosic Club Swim Team.
Keith Properties, Inc.: Canton, MA May 1996-September 1996
Administrative Assistant: Provided general office support: answered telephones, photocopied, organized papers, filed and distributed mail.
Language: Near fluency in written and spoken Spanish
Computer: Windows, Microsoft Word, Corel Word Perfect. Proficient in internet research, familiar with Java programming.
ACTIVITIES & INTERESTS
|Return to the Career Services Homepage||[ New info || About CSO || CSO
Calendar || Job info || Career Guides]
[Alumni Info || Engineering || Graduate & Professional Studies]
|Return to the Trinity College Homepage|